Thursday, July 30, 2009

Guidelines

Before I embark on this journey Saturday, I want to establish a few guidelines. Here's what I've got so far:

1) Starting Aug. 1, 2009, and continuing until July 31, 2010, I need to identify one "item" every day that will be leaving my possession for good.

2) Each item should be something that wasn't headed out the door already. So, last week's Sports Illustrated and the little gifts I scoop out of the cat litter each morning can't count.

3) Once an item has been identified as "downsized" it needs to be gone by the end of that month. This will buy me a little time to deal with it. However, whatever I identify on the last day of the month needs to be gone by that night. This should make the end of each month rather interesting.

4) Items can be given away, sold, recycled, trashed, incinerated (whew, that wood stove might get a workout this winter...), or otherwise made to disappear. However, I can be held accountable for any non-green actions that may have world-wide consequences. Always assume Al Gore is watching.

5) I will aim to post blog updates at least once a week (right now I'm thinking Wednesdays). Whenever the blog update happens, it needs to account for every calendar day.

Those are enough guidelines for now. Honestly, I'm making this up as I go along. However, as Seth Godin recently commented in his blog, is there any other way to make it up?

Now, let's look around for something to toss...

No comments:

Post a Comment