Sunday, August 1, 2010

The day after

What a wonderful day. While I carry the lessons of Downsizing with me, it was rather pleasant to not have to think, for one moment, about what I would get rid of today. And, in fact, I didn't get rid of a thing.

Rather, I spent a delightlful day with my Beautiful Bride and Brilliant Son. We walked around the farmer's market, splashed about in the swimming pool, and had dinner with friends.

There's still plenty of downsizing in my future -- turns out that once you start looking, there's plenty to get rid of -- but it doesn't have to happen daily, and I don't need to write about it. I do, however, have a number of wrap-up posts that I will be writing. I hope, Dear Readers, that you will stick around for those.

In the meantime, I am absolutely giddy with excitement over this little annoucement. My cousin Amy, one of my most loyal followers and frequent commenters, has launched her own year-long downsizing quest.

That's right, downsizing lives on!

She didn't even miss a day -- her challenge began today. So, Dear Readers, blow this popsicle joint and get over to Amy's blog: Downsizing Too.

I bet it promises to be an even more entertaining year than I gave you.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you have "wrap-up" posts to write...I have actually been dreading the end of this adventure (so much so that it was too hard to even post a comment yesterday (although your Mom sure hit the ball out of the park!)). It's been a real gift to be able to look over your shoulder for a year, a way to feel close when we lived so far apart. To have that all come to an end right around the same time when another thousand miles has been added between our families makes everything feel that much more pointed.

    Take pity on me, and like all good writers, ease me out of this experience; I'll still be reading. (And of course, I volunteer to be an early reader of the book-version of this blog, which I fully expect Terry Gross to be interviewing you about within the year...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, CRM, for your complementary remarks. You have certainly been one of my most loyal -- and vocal -- Dear Readers.

    I did some calculating tonight which shall show up in a future post, but, aside from this comment, I'm taking my first night off from blogging in 366 days. You'll have something new to read tomorrow. Hope you check in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has occurred to me that the bigger challenge (and bigger accomplishment) here was not getting rid of something every day (after all, I saw your basement while we were packing the POD) but writing about it every day.

    Especially in the midst of the craziness of moving, the hassle of house selling, the sleeplessness of new-baby having, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're absolutely right; in many ways the blog took on a larger life than the downsizing task, itself. Certainly, thinking of an angle for each post and then writing something I wasn't embarrassed to post was often the bigger time commitment each day. However, the writing was usually fun in a way that getting rid of stuff wasn't, and provided a little bit of stability within all that craziness you referenced. Without the daily writing, I think the downsizing would have actually become a real drag at times.

    ReplyDelete