Wednesday, March 10, 2010

School Daze, Part III


3/10/10 Forty-four children's books, given away

At this point, teachers are really starting to scare me.

I'm three days into what is turning into a week of school downsizing, and I'm realizing that teachers will take ANYTHING... and then they'll want what it came in, too.

My plan this morning was to put a grab-box of books in the teacher's room, leave it there for forty-eight hours, and then donate the books that were left over to the Casco Library's book sale. An hour and a half after I had left the books, all but two were gone, and there was even a sign asking for the basket I'd placed them in.

These people are desperate! To protect her identity, I won't reveal who wanted the basket, but her initials are Claudette Pierce.

What's become crystal clear is that if you want to make money off your downsizing, stay away from public schools. But, if you want to just give stuff away, teachers are like Downsizing Black Holes -- stuff disappears as if into a giant vacuum in space.

Which, honestly, is great. I just need to tie a few things down that I'm not ready to part with, yet...

2 comments:

  1. That goes a long way, I suppose, to explain how you got into this predicament! BTW I am the unreliable witness in the family. My Beloved has asked me - no lie- 3 times if we have a new date for the visit. He's either a) really really excited, b) suffering short-term memory loss, or c) doesn't trust my answer. All 3 could be true :) So, drop us a line when you've some space on your calendar! Hope to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, JDV, I admit to being a recovering Black Hole Teacher, myself. But, I am recovering!

    We'll definitely figure out dates soon for your visit -- can't wait.

    ReplyDelete