Monday, March 1, 2010

Boys love guns (as they should)

3/1/10 Ping-pong gun, given away

When I noticed on Facebook that my colleague's son turned twelve yesterday, I had instant downsizing inspiration.

I've had an air-powered ping-pong ball gun on my workbench for years. Where else would you keep such a weapon?!? It actually wasn't even mine, it was part of Joanna's dowry, but she gave the go-ahead on the give-away.

First, of course, I had to check with his mom, since we seem to have entered a time in American culture when the mere mention of the word gun is supposed to send children spiraling into a lifetime of dysfunction and violence. Not like in my day, when I was not only expected to play with guns, but they were actually made of metal and looked like guns.

(Which brings to mind the time when I was about ten and tried to bring a carry-on bag of about ten cap guns onto an airplane. You should have seen the eyes on the airport screeners when that bag went through the x-ray machine.)

Fortunately, Cathy is a good Maine mom and her only response was that Andrew would love the ping-pong gun. And, indeed, he seemed to.

Furthermore, Dear Readers, he assured me that he would not shoot his sisters in the face, only in the legs.

Good boy, Andrew, and happy birthday.

2 comments:

  1. And I suppose girls love dolls (as they should).
    Couldn't this have been re-functioned for a less martial use? Our cats would be euphoric with ping pong balls flying around the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earlier today I received a similar comment, although he suggested that I could have kept the gun to shoot AT the cats...

    ReplyDelete