Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ski bum, Parts III, IV, & V


2/28/10 Downhill skis, poles, & boots, returned to Katie; Cross-country boots, returned to Mom; Three pairs of useless cross-country boots, trashed

I closed out February with a triple downsize and, more importantly, had a great day because of downsizing. Here's how:

Earlier in the week, we talked with my parents and sister about driving over to visit them this weekend, since they are always chomping at the bit to see Chase. However, the double-whammy of infant-induced exhaustion and nonstop rainy/snowy weather prevented a Saturday trip and nearly scared us off a drive over there today.

However, yesterday's ski give-away made me eager to return Katie's skis to her, which we borrowed seven years ago for Joanna to use. (Katie hasn't been much of a skier recently, which I hope is not due to the fact that we've had her skis for over half a decade.) In the process of organizing her stuff, I discovered that I also had some of Mom's cross-country ski boots.

Side note: I also found three completely worthless pairs of cross-country boots, which I trashed. Three months ago I would have considered that today's downsize and intentionally left the others for future days, but I'm all about unloading stuff rapidly now. Yee-haw!

Right or wrong, I have to admit that without the downsize of those ski items in the back of my mind, I don't think I would have motivated to drive to Winthrop today. But the silly ski-delivery mission tipped my hand, and we headed over.

And, what a great little trip we had. We got caught up on the latest news, shared time with family, had a delicious lunch, and even went for a refreshing walk (which Chase slept through, but the fresh air did him good, nonetheless). Oh, and we took pictures; lots of pictures.

I shouldn't have needed the downsizing push to get us over to Winthrop, but without it we probably wouldn't have spent the afternoon with family, and that would have been a loss.

With our move to Denver looming ever closer, these impromptu family gatherings are certainly numbered. I thank the Downsizing Challenge for helping today's to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... and what a day we ALL had.... THANKS to your efforts of driving over. Holding Chase and our walk made my day. Love you all so much. Katie was thrilled with her return and James lookes pretty happy as well. Until the next comment...... m.

    ReplyDelete