Sunday, November 29, 2009

1,000 pounds of downsizing


11/29/09 Sixty-three paver blocks, sold on craigslist for $30

Surprise! It turns out that the cute flower garden built against the foundation of our home was not there to beautify our abode and brighten the front yard. It was there to conceal the fact that the only thing keeping water from flooding into our guest room was a thin sheet of plastic and a piece of plywood.

The water did eventually come in, of course.

It ruined the guest room carpeting about a year after my Dad casually said, "You know, that flower garden probably shouldn't be up against the foundation like that. I'd take it down and see what's going on there."

As usual, I probably should have listened to him sooner.

Fortunately, this repair job coincides with a MUCH LARGER project we've had in mind since the day we moved in. Beginning this week, a construction crew will arrive to not only fix the above-mentioned gaping hole, but to completely rebuild our front porch and entryway. In addition to giving us a screened-in porch and a level, rebuild patio entrance, it will also prevent our entire roof from caving in this winter. So that's a plus.

The trouble-causing garden was of simple construction: five tiers of castle-style paver blocks stacked in a semi-circle against my house. Those paver blocks are now on their way to Turner, ME, where a friendly guy named Paul will use them to build a retaining wall.

Ah, it's good to hear they are finally going to used for good, rather than evil.

3 comments:

  1. Darn... I should browse Craig's List more often... cus the'd be coming to MY house in Turner instead of some other guys.

    Good luck with the rebuild on the porch & the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I wish I could have given them to you! I keep intending to get another blog up and running with a list of stuff I want to get rid of in case any readers want the things, but it's just an idea at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thought. But completly understandable. I have a hard enough time keeping up on my 3 blogs as it is.

    ReplyDelete