Monday, November 30, 2009

Culling the collection

11/30/09 Three die cast Star Wars vehicles (Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, Twin-Pod Cloud Car), sold on eBay for $20.75

Today marks the last day of Downsizing Month Four. And, I think it's appropriate that I completed the first third of the challenge by parting with yet another set of Star Wars toys. This lot of cool die cast ships was mailed off to Michigan, where I'm sure their artistry shall be appreciated.

The idea for the Downsizing Challenge grew partially from a longstanding discussion -- yes, I chose that word carefully -- about my world renowned Star Wars collection. Joanna had long suggested that I could part with all these pounds of plastic from my childhood, and even my parents announced this summer that it was time to clean the stuff out of their attic.

I recognized that it would take something drastic (such as a daily deadline to get rid of something) to motivate me to cull the collection. While the vast majority of toys remained safely packed away, I have managed to get rid of more than I might have thought possible just four months ago.

I glanced back over the downsizing annals this evening and did a bit of counting. It turns out that seventeen of my downsizing days have involved old Star Wars items. Even more impressive, the total number of Star Wars things I've parted with is forty-one. Wow, that's pretty good.

And, geek that I am, I am proud to also add that I have taken immense joy from pulling each of these gems out and playing with them one last time before sending them off to other galaxies, far, far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment