Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A night at the movies: The Phantom Menace

11/4/09 Star Wars Rebel Commando, given away

Three Stormtoopers fetch $12.50, but a Rebel solider can't even get sold for 99 cents? Everyone loves the bad guys. Fortunately, the failure of the eBay community to embrace this toy didn't present a problem, since my friend JoieDeVivre has been dropping hints for action figures for weeks. Be careful what you ask for, JDV.

Mr. Commando has left the forested moon of Endor and is headed for the suburbs of Philadelphia. Wonder which he'll find more hospitable.

The summer of 1999 shall forever live in my memory for two great reasons: It was the summer that I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, and it marked the release of the first movie in the Prequel Trilogy. As I hiked through Pennsylvania, JoieDeVivre and her husband plucked me off the trail, cleaned me up, and took me to see...

...tonight's film:

Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Order in which it should be watched: Third

Why: Flashback Time! After watching Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, we're ready to jump back in time to discover the true story behind Vader's shocking revelation to Luke. Plus, now we can enjoy battles on a much grander scale and twenty years of advancement in special effects since all the clunky stuff is behind us.

Most memorable line:
"This is an odd move for the Trade Federation."

Coolest moment: Whoa, has he got a double-bladed lightsaber?!?

Funniest moment: Qui-Gon snags Jar Jar's tongue at the dinner table. Serves him right.

Best character: Qui-Gon Jinn -- Liam Neeson strolls in and shows he belonged in the Star Wars universe all along.

Thing that bothers me: When Jar Jar Binks (okay, I know there's a lot about him that bothers most people) leads Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to his hidden city, he does history's most amazing jumping, twisting somersault as he dives into the water. Nowhere else in any of the movies do we see evidence that Jar Jar or any of his fellow Gungans have such remarkable athletic ability. If he can do that when he's just getting in the water, why doesn't he go all Jet Li on the Battle Droids?

Who loses their arm/hand: Strangely, nobody. An odd oversight for Mr. Lucas.

Who says, "I've got a bad feeling about this": Obi-Wan; it's his first line in the film.

What the film teaches us: Even in a galaxy far, far away, politics are messy and flawed.

Final thought: Phantom Menace had a lot of heavy lifting to do, and it couldn't completely hold up under the weight. The film is good, but even I need to admit it's the weakest chapter in the entire saga. Nonetheless, it contains the best lightsaber battle in all the movies: the fight between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul.

4 comments:

  1. Lest we forget, that night I believe we did a crazy dash between movie theaters after viewing Episode I to get the antidote to that "this should have been better" feeling one is left with after seeing the Phantom Menace...THE MATRIX.

    Quite possibly, the perfect movie. Again, must be viewed (like A New Hope) in the context of its time. So many derivative forms have arisen since then, you have to remind yourself of how your jaw was in your lap the first time you sat in the theater.

    And, no Jar-Jar character to explain away. Or bad directing. Or terrible acting by insufferable little boys (compare Anakin's "Whoopee" to the Potential's "There is no spoon").

    And, while I can't disagree that the Darth Maul double-bladed light saber battle is excellent, as a parting shot I ask you to call up the "Morpheus is fighting Neo" training program scene.



    "I know Kung Fu."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would be willing to bet that few people have ever experienced a 1-2 punch at the movie theater like we did that night. You two really make stuff happen.

    And, if backed into a corner, I'd be forced to admit that The Matrix is a better flick than Phantom. Jo and I did a Matrix marathon not long ago, watching the 3 movies on 3 consecutive nights. Very fun.

    However, in the pantheon of great movie sagas (counting all the movies), I'm still going to put the Matrix series after Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I realize this may drive a permanent wedge between us. Sorry, CRM.

    Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. After LOR *and* Star Wars? Consider yourself wedged, Sir! It's like I don't even know you anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in trouble, now. I've got both human members of the family against me. I happen know, however, that Scout is on my side.

    ReplyDelete