Saturday, November 14, 2009

Roll on

11/14/09 Pool cover reel, sold on craigslist for $20

One of these days, I'm going to figure out how to downsize the entire pool.

Until then, I'll have to settle for getting rid of random pool-related items.

When we moved in, I found a pool cover reel under the deck. The solar blanket that was supposed to be wrapped around it was rotted and ripped. I gathered up the decaying pieces of that blanket and took them to the dump years ago, although I still find little blue bubbles under the deck from time to time.

The reel, however, always held such potential that I left it safely stored where it was. Every summer I'd say to myself, "I should get a solar blanket for the pool!" Then, I wouldn't. Why throw good money after bad? (For my take on Maine swimming pools, check out my earlier post.)

The harsh truth, however, is that without the Downsizing Challenge, I would have continued to say that to myself for years into the future. But, now that I'm constantly looking to jettison the excess clutter from my life, I can spot a good craigslist item from across the yard.

A friendly guy with a British -- I think it was British -- accent named Simon came by today and loaded the reel onto his truck. His roller had broken, so this one would replace it. He already had the solar cover, so I know he won't be mumbling I shoulds to himself like I did.

I should have sold that thing long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment