Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Coffee break

11/25/09 Two coffee mugs, given away

I completed the Parent/Teacher Organization gift basket trifecta today, donating two mugs to the Maine Basket, to be raffled off in support of the school. Because of my earlier donations to the Family Night Basket and the Outdoor Activity Basket, I can now rest easy at night knowing I've done all I can for the PTO. Whew.

By the way, I'm learning that coffee mugs are the bane of downsizing. We have, as Fletch would say (check out the moment at 2:18 -- it's the best), a tremendous buildup of coffee mugs. We have so many that they occupy parts of three shelves in our cupboards. Unloading the dishwasher is like a ceramic version of reverse Jenga. Not to be crude, but it's a flagon nightmare!

And yet, every one of them has a story, many involving special places we've visited. Every one seems special. We can't just cast them aside like Starbucks to-go cups.

As it is, I couldn't bear to part with our full set of four holiday mugs, since they were a meaningful gift. However, I figured we could deal with the psychic shock of reducing our collection by two, so I took half of the set to school.

How I'm going to part with any of the remaining mugs is beyond me.

2 comments:

  1. See? I TOLD you that drinking coffee leads to nothing but problems...


    Happy Thanksgiving to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my list of vices, coffee is so insignificant...

    And, of course, Happy Thanksgiving to the three of you, as well!

    ReplyDelete