Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Birthday books

5/12/10 Two books, given away

Today didn't start off well, but it sure ended on a high note.

I hardly slept last night, as I continued dealing with a night-time cough that roared to life every time I approached a prone position. My 5:15 AM alarm wasn't necessary, and I dragged myself to the bathroom feeling sick and tired. Literally.

I then made the best decision of the week, which was to call in sick to work. Joanna got up with Chase and I finally fell asleep, waking up nearly five hours later. Guess I was rather tired.

By afternoon I was feeling better, certainly well enough to travel over to Winthrop for my baby sister's surprise birthday party. Yep, little Katie is turning thirty, so naturally we needed to be in on the celebration.

The party also served another purpose since Katie's husband Jean also just got a new job, as a Budget Director at the Wildlife Conservation Society. Those of you, Dear Readers, who are from the New York area will recognize the WCS as the organization that runs all five of the major zoos in the city. Very cool.

While the job is right up Jean's alley and there are a lot of advantages to raising a family in the New York area, it does mean that Katie, Jean, and their kids will have to leave Maine and our parents.

Of course, Joanna, Chase and I are about to do the same thing, so who am I to talk?

To help grapple with the implications of trading the wilds of Maine for the urban landscape of The Big Apple, one book I downsized to Katie was The Last Child in the Woods, which had been given to me by my cousin Chad. The book, subtitled Saving our children from nature-deficit disorder, makes some interesting points about the need for children to interact with the natural world and to engage in playful explorations of both the outdoors and social situations. (As opposed to living a life of regimented soccer leagues and piano practices.)

Despite birthday parties and new jobs, Katie and Jean's lives revolve completely around their children, so I know James and Estelle will have it good wherever their family ends up. Indeed, I may be eight year's Katie's senior, but she's my role model when it comes to parenting.

Yep, spending the evening with two great parents like that would bring anyone's bad day to a pleasant conclusion.

Happy Birthday, Kate.

Congratulations, Jean.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations and best wishes to TWO families who are making significant geographic and operational changes in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She'll never pass for 30. Katie will be one of those women who still get carded at 50 yo. Send our congratulations to both Kate & Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dear brother for making my bday so special. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this post. As usual your words have made me tear up. Love you!!!

    And thanks to everyone for their well wishes and nice comments!

    ReplyDelete