Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Advance scout


9/23/09 Two sleeping bags, donated to Boy Scout Troop 130

A few days ago, the librarian at my school asked me if I'd like to buy some popcorn to support her son's Boy Scout troop. Now, as an employee at a public school, I have to have a clear policy on fundraisers. I get asked all the time to buy stuff, and if I always did (as some teachers actually do) I'd need to take out a second mortgage just to cover the costs. I'm more of a hard-liner, and my standard response is a polite, "No thanks."

However, in the process of rejecting the librarian's offer, I did learn that her son is working towards becoming an Eagle Scout, which impressed me. And, since my mind never wanders far from the Downsizing Challenge, I started to wonder how I could help out the Scouts without parting from any of my beloved cash or acquiring and more corn products. (For a review of my thoughts on corn, click HERE.)

It didn't take my little brain long to make the obvious connection between my excess camping equipment and the world's most famous camping organization. I suggested that I had two sleeping bags I'd happily part with, and the deal was done.

Turns out that Troop 130 has a rather impressive history, teaching the boys of South Paris to be physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight for seventy-five years. Apparently, they are the third oldest troop in Maine.

The scouts pledge to help other people at all times. Hopefully, these sleeping bags might help one or two of them.

3 comments:

  1. Reed--

    I'm in! It took five hours of fishing cable through the attic, but I've just finished catching up on your entire batch of posts to date, and I am forced to admit that the internet has its uses. Feeling more involved in a cherished friend's life when that friend lives too far away has got to be at the top of the list. Thanks for sharing.

    Three quick notes...

    I urge you to listen to "On the Media" before deciding that "This American Life" is the best radio broadcast, although they are very nearly tied. Incidentally, the best television broadcast is "Frontline" and has been for many years.

    I don't know if this goes against the idea, saving parts of things downsized, but I recommend cutting the cords and plugs off any of the electronics you get rid of. I have been nursing along many tools and the same few extension cords for decades (literally) just by re-using these parts. Less to buy in the first place should be a component of this whole thing, right?

    Don't send that scholarship fund in yet if you haven't already...J and I are sending a check this afternoon.

    Looking forward to following the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to the popcorn you DIDN'T buy: in addition to helping the subsidized corn farmers, real popcorn replaces plastic "popcorn" in packaging for shipping. To reduce the carbon footprint, no microwaves or stove-top; find an old fashioned basket popper and do the popping when you have a fire going for whatever other reason. Enjoy eating your fill and store the rest (since you no longer have any plastic litter buckets, will the corn litter bags work?) for future packaging material. And you'll probably end up feeding lots of mice, too.
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "real popcorn" idea for shipping (as well as popping it over the wood stove) since I have visions of people opening my packages and then snacking as they look at the contents. In fact, now that I'm becoming a true ebay-er, perhaps I should ship all the the things I sell in popcorn. I could really make a name for myself...

    ReplyDelete