Monday, September 7, 2009

Paint chip on my shoulder

9/7/09 Really old paint, consumed (can trashed)

When we moved into our home in 2003, the previous owners left all sorts of goodies in the basement, shed, and even out in the woods. Thanks, Mr. Zipkin. One such present was a can of red paint that matched the trim around our deck. The rusty old thing has been sitting in the corner of my basement for six years (and probably a few more years before we got here).

That trim needed to be redone, and Labor Day seemed particularly appropriate for such work. Enthusiasm aside, I had serious doubts about what I would happen if I tried to open that can. When I did, the top basically crumbled apart, and the liquid inside looked like a gray sponge sitting in three inches of olive oil. Useless?

A minute of stirring worked magic. The paint was miraculously brought back to life and ready to run, so to speak. Now, the deck looks great, that can is out of my life, and I'm not feeling quite as annoyed at the Zipkins.

Now, will I be so lucky with the other aged paint cans? I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment