Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Public Speaker

9/1/09 Computer speaker, trashed

Electronics are hard to downsize. It seems wrong to get rid of something that plugs into a wall and whose inner workings baffle me. Broken stuff I can handle, but if it still operates, wow, it's tough to trash. Of course, with the amazing speed of technological advancement, we find ourselves surrounded by more and more functioning - yet worthless - equipment. Furthermore, as far as I can understand, every outdated electronic device in our homes contains enough hazardous material to build a dirty bomb. Proper disposal is a confusing and complicated process.

I've had the computer speaker (originally part of a pair, but the companion piece died years ago) since I lived in New York. It's traveled up the East Coast with me, sat by my desk, and basically served no function other than to keep the shelf from floating up into the sky. Yesterday, I plugged it into my computer so I could hear a DVD better. The sound out of the speaker wasn't even as loud as the laptop's built in speaker. And it sounded like it had emphysema.

What would you do? I, of course, put it right back on the shelf.

Clearly, as my first month of the Downsizing Challenge drew to a close, I had learned nothing. I had a worthless thing in my hand, and I carefully returned it to the same place it's been sitting for six years. Likely, as I did this, I was thinking to myself, "Now, what can I possibly get rid of today?"

Really, Reed?

Six hours later, as you know if you read yesterday's post, I downsized most of the contents of a binder. It was the best I could do at that late hour.

Today marks Day 1 of the second month of the challenge. I'm one-twelfth of the way through the year, and I'd like to think that the new month has brought me a clearer sense of vision. Today, when I sat down at my desk and the speaker caught my eye, I knew immediately it had to go. Right in the trash. (Don't tell the dirty bomb makers.)

September, continue to show me the way!

2 comments:

  1. Keep "plugging" away, Reed; you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy. Another day, another downsize!

    ReplyDelete