Saturday, September 19, 2009

In honor of Vance


9/19/09 Electric griddle, three pillows, several baking pans, and a whole bunch of Joanna's clothes, given away to family & friends at our BBQ

Today we held Joanna & Reed's Second Annual Autumnal Equinox Benefit Barbecue. Our idea is to hold a summer-ending cookout each year for family and friends, raising money for a different cause each time. We supply the food and ask for a $10 donation from each guest towards our selected cause.

Last year, at our inaugural event, we donated the money to the Maine Breast Cancer Coalition. My great childhood friend Vance was, unsurprisingly, our biggest donor. While we asked for ten dollars, he quietly wrote out a check for fifty. That was characteristic of Vance: generous and quiet. He gave a lot, but never called attention to it.

Two months after last year's party, Vance passed away unexpectedly at age 36. A great friend, gone.

As we planned this year's barbecue, both Joanna and I quickly agreed we should raise money for a cause in honor of Vance. After he died, his family set up a scholarship fund at our high school. Vance and I were both proud members of Winthrop High School's class of 1990. The scholarship was set up to help students who wanted to enter careers related to computing, Vance's specialty.

That sounded like a perfect cause for this year's event.

Early in the party, my mother offered a toast to Vance, so we all raised our (plastic) glasses (of club soda) in honor of my good friend. It was a classy moment, mom.

We couldn't have had a more beautiful day. Slight breeze, warm sun, t-shirt weather on the deck. Burgers, hot dogs, macaroni salad, with a little belated birthday cake for my mom.

Thanks to all who attended, celebrated with us, and donated to the cause.

And, Dear Readers, if any of you would like to contribute to this year's Autumnal Equinox Benefit Barbecue, I'll continue to collect donations for another week or so. If you send me a check, and I'll gladly add it in with the others.

Make check payable to "Winthrop High School" and write "Wheelock Scholarship" in the memo section.

Mail to:
Reed Dyer
34 Lukes Rd.
Casco, ME 04015

Vance would never make such a shameless plug, but I will. Give, give, give. It's for a good cause, and in honor of a great man.

Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Nice, Reed! I've had a check for the scholarship written out, in an envelope addressed to the Winthrop Credit Union, for months. I will send it to you instead. Hey, I just realized, under your rules that is considered downsizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That absolutely counts as a Downsize, Cathy. Glad you're getting into the spirit! As for the check, it would be great if you sent it to me, so I can include it with all the rest as one big donation. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Reed. I am sending it out tomorrow! (payday today :o])

    ReplyDelete