Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sub-scribing, part two


9/8/09 Two issues of Sports Illustrated, sent to Boston for autographs (hopefully!)

As mentioned on Sunday, I have quite a collection of Beantown-themed Sports Illustrated back-issues. The idea, of course, is that I shall spend my golden years thumbing through these historical documents, reminiscing about the grand achievements of my favorite teams. Long live vicarious victories!

Then it occurred to me that it would be even cooler if I could get my athletic heroes to sign the covers on which they are pictured. How likely is it that a professional athlete will sign a magazine that I send to them? A question worth exploring.

Honestly, I've been reluctant to send off any of the mags precisely because I figured it was unlikely I'd ever get them back. However, the Downsizing Challenge is all about embracing my fear of letting go.

Today, I let go of two magazines I've had since 2007. I mailed them off to the Boston Red Sox, care of Beckett and Dice-K. Will they return signed? My fingers are crossed.

Now, for those of you who are about to protest that if they come back I will not have truly downsized them, I beg to differ. Today, I got rid of two old copies of a popular magazine. If they do come back signed, they will be something totally different: One-of-a-kind sports memorabilia. Those would be worth saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment