Thursday, October 29, 2009

Automatic

10/29/09 Bag of gourmet hot chocolate mix, given away

I had a bit of a breakthrough today: I downsize without thinking.

It was a completely automatic, natural act, done without hesitation or concern for personal safety. Much the way you might dive into a rushing river to save a child. Yeah, just like that.

We had parent/teacher conferences at school today, so I brewed up a pot of afternoon java for any staff members who needed a pick-me-up. As I started the coffee maker, my colleague Roni -- who ALWAYS has something to say about whatever I'm doing -- piped up.

"So, where's my hot chocolate, huh, Reed?" she asked, as she has just about every time I've made coffee. Roni doesn't drink coffee.

"Ah-ha!" I shouted and snatched an unopened package of really fancy hot chocolate mix off of the top of my shelf. "Here you go, Roni."

I'm not sure who gave me the mix (Thank you, whoever you are!) but I've had it since last winter in my office. It was quite dusty.

The mix was already in Roni's hands before I realized what I'd done.

"Hey, that totally counts as a downsize!" I yelled. And it did. Way to go, me!

As for you, Roni, enjoy the cocoa. But no more smart comments about my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment