Friday, October 2, 2009

Detox

10/2/09 Six bottles of liquid swimming pool shock, sold on craigslist for $15

For the third day in a row, I've gotten rid of chemicals. This trifecta was unplanned, but I wonder if it means I have too many toxins in my life. At least there are less now.

Two days ago, I rid myself of a bevy of inherited chemicals, yesterday I gave a bottle of RV antifreeze to a teaching colleague (perhaps the RV stuff isn't toxic, but you sure wouldn't curl up with a glass of it and a good book), and today I sold six bottles of swimming pool chlorine solution.

During my years-long search for a pool dealer who could actually help me keep my pool clear, I briefly tried out the liquid shock, rather than the granular stuff most places peddle. It was sold at the pool store nearest to my house, but they also sell wood stoves, and the combination seemed too odd for me. Regardless, the liquid didn't work any better, and I ended up squirreling away six bottles of it (four of which were in box that was still sealed) for the last few years.

For the record, I've regularly shopped at four different pool stores, as well as Walmart and the internet. I'm at the point where I've decided to pretty much cut out the middle man and stick with on-line distributors. Hey, it's a new millennium.

The chlorine was probably worth somewhere between $40 and $80 dollars, but I'm in a downsizing state of mind, and didn't want to worry about finding the perfect price point. For a quick sale, it turns out that $15 was a very perfect price point.

I'm sure that Ray, an Auburn guy who joked that having a pool was especially foolish for him, since he also had a boat, will put the stuff to good use and, to be sure, he got a deal.

But, then again, so did I. Six gallons of foul-smelling toxins out the door. That's a good deal at any price.

1 comment:

  1. And having less chemicals around is safer for the baby!!!! (Congratulations!!!)

    ReplyDelete