Sunday, October 25, 2009

Size: 0-3 months

10/25/09 Old pair of pants and old pair of shorts, trashed

We did not go over to my parents' house yesterday solely to share ethically questionable beef. We also went over to look through box after box of baby clothes, in anticipation of the arrival of our little critter. Since my sister's son is now three years old and another family friend's child is the same age, my mother has stockpiled a huge number of newborn clothes.

We consider ourselves tremendously lucky to have all of these onesies, hats, minuscule socks, and the like dropped, literally, in our laps. We had quite a time going through the boxes labeled "0-6 months," with Katie and mom dispensing advice that helped us not-yet-parents make good choices. We returned home with a huge bin of clothes.

Note to anyone thinking about giving us baby clothes: unless it has a Patriots or Celtics logo on it, we probably don't need it. (We do need sports-related outfits. Desperately.)

Now that we have all of this stuff, we need to find space for it. I'm convinced we can use our existing dressers if we clean out the things we don't wear or don't need. Yes, this calls for downsizing!

My small step today was to trash two items that were torn up and absolutely unwearable anywhere except my own back yard. It's not easy to throw away pants or shorts, even when they are badly torn, since it's still possible to wear them, as I detailed in one of my early posts. In going through my drawers, however, I noted that I have at least four other pairs of work pants and several pairs of shorts (all of which are out of commission until next summer, anyway).

So, though it may only represent small progress, I have two fewer items in my dresser now. There's more to be done, surely, but it's a start.

Plus, downsizing one pair of pants actually makes room for about ten pair of newborn pants. Have you seen the microscopic size of those things? It's shocking. Babies must be really small.

No comments:

Post a Comment