Friday, October 9, 2009

Puppet master

10/09/09 Eight puppets (four of them custom-made!), given away

My mom is a special lady. An art teacher, she's the one I go to anytime I need something crafted from scratch.

When I was teaching kindergarten in New York, I asked her if she could make some puppets based on characters from some great children's books: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Busy Spider, Chrysanthemum, and Corduroy. She did, of course, and I used those puppets - and several others I bought - for years as a classroom teacher.

Since I became a literacy coach the puppets haven't seen any action, and the box they were in had gathered an inch of dust on the top shelf in my office. It's not an easy decision to give away something that mom made, but it was time to get those puppets back into a classroom.

I put out an email to the kindergarten and first grade teachers at our school, and Lori Plummer was the first to respond. I popped into her class today to hear her read The Very Hungry Caterpillar as one of her students acted out the story with a puppet. The class loved it.

On a side note, yesterday, teachers all over the country read The Very Hungry Caterpillar in an effort to set a new world record for the most people reading the same book on the same day. I don't think the official count is in, yet, but I bet the record was broken. That's the right book to do it with; a timeless classic that kids of any age can enjoy.

Especially if you've got a caterpillar puppet to go along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment