Friday, October 30, 2009

Strange frequency



10/31/09 UHF antenna, trashed

Here are a few questions to ponder:

Why do I have a UHF antenna?

What is a UHF antenna supposed to do?

What the heck is UHF?

Has anyone under the age of fifty ever experienced UHF or the wonders it surely provided to previous generations?

I have some vague recollection of a Weird Al Yankovic movie with that title -- Oh wow, I was right! -- but that's pretty much the only UHF connection I can think of.

And the big question: Can I live without UHF, or its antenna? I shall find out tomorrow, as I embark on my new, UHF-free life.

3 comments:

  1. Well, well, well. Another patsy crumbles in the face of the hegemon that is cable television.

    "Has anyone under the age of fifty ever experienced UHF?" Let me just say, my friend, that to this day I still pull my six television stations out of the ether with my rabbit ears (that's VHF and UHF if you are paying attention). And, it's all in HIGH DEFINITION. FOR FREE.

    Cost to watch the Phils beat the Yankees (another evil corporate hegemon, incidentally) in game one of the World Series? Zero Dollars. Telling the cable companies to go pound sand? Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have sent you the UHF receiver, CRM. I would much rather regift than trash. Go Phillys! jmp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over on Facebook, I also had a 30-Something friend suggest that I did not fully appreciate the beauty of UHF, although he was reminiscing about stations from his childhood. Only you, CRM, would suggest that UHF is still the way to go.

    ReplyDelete