Monday, October 19, 2009

Coffee talk

10/19/09 Seven travel mugs, donated to Guy E. Rowe Elementary School

A few weeks ago, Joanna came into the house after a trip to Portland and announced, "I'm throwing you a lob."

She pulled two ceramic travel mugs out of a bag.

"Now you can downsize all those plastic ones!" she said. The de-plasticification of our lives continues.

It turns out that the ceramic mugs are great for a gaggle of reasons. They keep the coffee warmer, they feel better in my hand, they look cleaner, and -- best of all -- they don't leech a weird taste into the coffee.

Which is not to say that I think the old travel mugs should just be tossed into the trash.

What does get tossed into the trash at my school are Styrofoam coffee cups. I brew a pot of coffee every Thursday morning for anyone who wants it, and I also serve java during the graduate class I teach at school every other Monday night. Styrofoam, Styrofoam, Styrofoam into the garbage, every time.

Now, I've got a collection of mugs people can use, rather than disposable cups.

Thanks for the lob, Joanna. I'd say I hit it for a single.

2 comments:

  1. You "...brew a pot of coffee every Thursday morning for anyone who wants it..." at an elementary school? While I know you Maine-ers are anti-authority, anti-establishment, anti-government etc., I just can't condone giving coffee to seven-year-olds.

    I'm calling Obama. This sounds like a job for Big Government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks Best Burr Coffee Grinders under $200

    ReplyDelete