Saturday, October 10, 2009

Collective Good-sizing

10/10/09 Two cell phones and a Pocket PC, donated to Collective Good

Here's a cool thing: I got rid of three virtually worthless electronic devices today, and I can have the warm glow of giving to a good cause at the same time.

In my search for ways to get rid of old cell phones, I stumbled upon an organization called Collective Good. You donate your old electronic stuff to them, they find a non-profit organization that can use the phones.

I chose the Captain Planet Foundation which, beside having a cool, superhero name, works "to fund and support hands-on, environmental projects for children and youths." I've never heard of them before, but it sounds like a great cause to me. In fact, it reminded me of an environmental after school program that my friend Jason and I started when we taught in Harlem. Having been on the other side of the equation, I know how hard it can be to raise donations, especially for causes that focus on urban kids.

I mailed off the cell phones and my old Dell Axim to Collective Good this morning. Like any superhero, I like to get my "world-saving" done by 11AM on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment