Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Heart-shaped trust

10/27/09 Waffle maker, given away on Freecycle.org

Here's a wonderful thing:

Despite all the craziness in the world and the constant bombardment of messages from all angles that we are headed to hell in a handbasket (a phrase that deserves more use), today's downsize reminds me that there's still trust and honesty in my life.

After vainly trying to sell this old waffle maker on craigslist, I decided to offer it up for free on Freecycle (a site which I will discuss in future posts, no doubt). Quite quickly I had two separate grandmothers emailing me, saying that they'd love to have it to make waffles for their grandchildren.

It should be noted that this is no ordinary waffle maker. It lovingly crafts breakfast delights in the shape of little hearts. How I ever ended up with it is anyone's guess, but it was something I used a fair amount in my old bachelor days.

My best memory (Do YOU have waffle maker memories?) comes from when I was teaching at Future Leaders Institute in Harlem. Each Friday a different staff member would bring in a few breakfast goodies for the teacher's room. The tradition escalated to the point that I once offered a full waffle bar (heart-shaped waffles, no less), complete with berries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar. I think I needed Ernie to cover my class for the first twenty minutes of the day because I was still taking orders. Kindergarteners smindergarteners -- I have waffles to make!

I shall keep such memories forever, but I can let go of the waffle maker.

Gram Joanna (not to be confused with my wife, Pregnant Joanna) saw my Freecycle post and emailed, "My grandkids would love making waffles with me. I would love to have it!" Can't say no to that.

Gram Joanna was going to be in the area today, but I had to be at work. No problem. I gave her my address and directions and left the waffle maker outside my front door.

I live in a place where I feel comfortable leaving something on my porch. No worries about anyone taking it. And, I feel fine giving a complete stranger my address and then telling her when I won't be home. I don't take such things for granted. Most people, in most places in the world couldn't or wouldn't do those things.

But, we can't spend every minute convinced everyone else is out to get us. Or at least I can't. Gram Joanna came to our empty house and got the waffle maker. Nobody snuck out of the woods before her to steal the machine, and she refrained from breaking in and robbing us blind.

Score two for humanity.

Enjoy the waffles, and remember: berries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar are a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment