Friday, October 16, 2009

Corked bat

10/16/09 Box full of corks, trashed

I may be a hoarder.

Yesterday, I discovered a box full of corks (nicely labeled) in the basement. It's becoming like a bad Jeff Foxworthy routine: "You might be a hoarder if...you have a hundred corks in a cardboard box in the basement."

Now, I just KNOW that there are a thousand great uses for corks. The most impressive one I've heard of is the guy who made a boat out of wine corks. And sailed it! I momentarily considered trying to match him, until I read that he used 165,321 corks to construct the vessel. I love wine, but with Joanna pregnant, I fear the effects such a goal might have on my job (not to mention my ability to even make it up the stairs).

Actually, I stopped saving wine corks about a year ago, realizing that there were enough important projects to keep me away from ever diving into wine-cork-art. Subsequently, I completely forgot about this box of corks, which was -- unsurprisingly -- right next to the phoebe nest tin.

To properly bid the corks adieu, I opened a bottle of my finest Red Sox wine. Yes, I have a whole case of Red Sox wine. Yes, I deserve season tickets. Yes, I will gladly accept them from you.

So, the corks are in the trash, I enjoyed a bit of cab sav, and the basement is just a little bit less cluttered.

If I am a hoarder, at least I'm going down fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment