Monday, July 26, 2010

EZ come, EZ go


7/26/10 E-Z Pass tag, returned

Paradoxically, the farther I get into this challenge, the more I realize that the world still isn't fully on board with the whole Reduce, Reuse, Recycle thing.

A week ago, I called the Maine Turnpike Authority to cancel my EZPass toll tag and account. I was delighted to discover that I had a $22 credit on my account and that, simply by filling out a form, I could have that money easily refunded to me. Wonderful!

While on the phone, I asked the customer service representative if I should mail my now worthless tag back to her.

"Oh, those are valid for seven to ten years," she replied.

Given that the tag was several years old already, I explained to her that I probably wouldn't be driving around the Northeast soon enough to justify holding onto it.

"But, are you sure you won't be back in a year or two? Most people just hold onto them."

Clearly, I am not most people, which is sort of the point of this whole challenge. If most people clutter up their lives with a 2" x 2" piece of plastic on the chance that, years from now, it might save them the twenty dollars, I surely don't WANT to be most people.

"You paid for that tag. We recommend you keep it."

Since my rejection of the tag was falling on deaf ears, I tried a different approach: "How about if I mail it to someone back East? Could someone else use it."

"Oh, no!" she replied with horror. "We don't recommend that! You bought it -- it's yours."

Yes, apparently for life.

"Well, what do you recommend I do with it if I can't give it away?" I was trying to be patient. This woman was clearly not one of my faithful readers.

"You should speak to your transfer station about proper disposal."

Really? In a day of tight budgets, dwindling tax revenues, and a public incensed by government spending, I'm being told by the Maine Transit Authority to toss this perfectly functional device in the trash?

"Are you sure I can't send it back to you?"

There was a long pause on the other line.

"Well, you do have the option of mailing it to us if you wish. I encourage you to keep it, but you can mail it to me along with your account cancelation form."

Sold! I ended the conversation as quickly as possible before she attempted to convince me to place it in my safety deposit box.

I mailed it off today and, with any luck, it will be in someone else's car doing its fine EZ Pass job by the end of the summer.

I just hope they processed the paperwork closing my account.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Maine Turnpike Authority:
    I just received my EZPass and am horrified to see it has a slight scratch and color fading which makes it obvious that it has been PREVIOUSLY USED! I can't believe you are so insensitive that you think I would display this on the windshield of my new Lexus. It's bad enough that you don't offer them in a variety of colors. If you think that the current economic situation justifies some sort of recycling program, at least hire enough competent personnel to refurbish the passes so no one can tell they have been sent back by the sort of people who became upset when you started adding monthly fees. Please send me a new EZPass which is vacuum-sealed in tamper-proof clear plastic so I can toss this disgusting hand-me-down into the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, Dear Readers, is a case where the comment is better than the actual blog post. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete