Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cablevision

7/4/10 Complete file of Time Warner cable information, recycled

On our nation's birthday, I celebrate my independence from cable television.

Sort of.

First, a side note. A truly great benefit of downsizing has been the extreme culling of my files. When I left home, became an adult, had to be responsible for myself, I made up my own rules for saving documents. The rules could pretty much be summed up as:

1) If a bill or document has my name on it, save it.

This led to the dual whammy of way too much paperwork and an extreme feeling of dread/guilt whenever I did throw something away. Yes, a terrible way to live.

Fortunately, downsizing therapy has helped me deal with this issue and not only have I trashed most of my old files, but I don't even feel so bad about doing it. (As long as I don't think too hard about it.)

I seem to have had a bit of a relapse, however, right before leaving Maine. Despite having cancelled my cable, I personally carted my old file folder of cable account information across the country. Didn't even put it in the POD, I drove it to Denver in the Yoda Mobile myself. Strange, huh?

The irony is that we don't even have cable here. Actually, we DO have cable, but we don't have a TV (downsized them both, here and here), so the cable is worthless. Thus, we have been reduced to watching movies on the computer. Thank the Maker for the streaming option on Netflix.

With my old cable account canceled and my new account with a different carrier, it seemed as good a night as any to get rid of that folder. Why I waited so long to do it is anyone's guess, but why worry about it now? I mean, does anyone hassle the Founding Fathers for not getting the Revolution going a bit sooner? Geesh.

July 4, 2010. A rainy night with a 5-month-old child means no fireworks for us, but that's fine with me. Tomorrow is our anniversary, and Joanna cooked an amazing dinner with items she picked up from the Farmer's Market this morning. The lack of cable TV means we're snuggled up together on the couch, sharing a tiny laptop monitor. Very romantic.

Our choice for anniversary romantic movie night?

Singles.

Chew on that.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds romantic - Happy Anniversary to you guys!
    I feel like a bit of a downsizing challenge parasite - just sort of along for the ride on your personal challenge. So here I go again - bragging about our downsizing of cable....YUP! we canceled cable at the end of June (after the Celts lost in the championship game)and are going cable free for the summer (and perhaps beyond). It has been amazingly easy to go without TV - I thought it would be much harder. The $70 a month we are saving is a huge boost to the budget. AND, Kendra hasn't asked to watch Elmo ONCE since we quit sitting in front of the tube ourselves. Role modeling IS the best form of parenting apparently.
    So congrats on your Cable free/TV free world. Chase will be better for it!

    ReplyDelete