Friday, July 9, 2010

iTunes in

7/9/10 iPhone car adapter, trashed

When I first bought my iPhone, I also got a cassette adapter that allowed me to play the iPhone through the car stereo.

Despite the iPhone being the most technologically advanced creation since the space shuttle, the adapter was straight out of 1988. It's just cassette you put into the tape deck, with a long cord that plugs into the phone's audio jack.

And it works just as well as state-of-the-art 1980s technology.

It immediately drove me crazy, supplementing the podcasts I wanted to hear to with a piercing, electronic buzz. Yeah, it was basically unusable.

So, shortly after buying it, I did what any self-respecting man would do. I bought a tremendously overpriced, high-tech iPhone charger/transmitter and gave the crappy adapter to my wife.

After struggling with it for a month or so, Joanna informed me that it had broken, going from making sounds you wouldn't want to listen to to making no sound at all. Progress?

Naturally, I assumed she was probably mistaken, and that the adapter could still work, so I didn't throw it out. In fact, I put it in my car -- ironically, within six inches of the transmitter I bought to replace it. And there it sat.

Let's step back a minute and take stock so far.

• I had a device that functioned so poorly, I refused to use it.
• Then, it broke.
• After that, I drove around with it in my car for three months. Even stared at it all the way from Maine to Colorado.

And this is during the period in my life when I've committed to getting rid of things, when I spend part of every day writing essays about letting go of stuff. There were several days during this time when I even looked around and thought, "I don't have anything left I can part with."

If I didn't know myself, I'd say I was a candidate for some serious psychological counseling.

No comments:

Post a Comment