Friday, April 30, 2010

Photo finish, part V

4/30/10 Pictures and cards, recycled

Well look at this, even my Beautiful Bride is getting into the act. After my most recent purge, I set aside some of Joanna's pictures and cards for her to look through. She quickly -- and rightly -- decided that after savoring them for one last moment, they could leave our lives forever. The Casco Transfer Station shall process a lot of photo prints this weekend.

I need to note that after my last picture downsize, in which I made light of sentimentality, my mother expressed concern. I believe she was worried I was turning stone-hearted, tossing all connections to the past to the side.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have many cherished memories, I just don't need to keep photos as a markers of them. Actually, I DO keep photos, and I have saved many this week. But, I've changed my thinking. While I used to keep every picture, now I force myself to make decisions. What I have done through these recent downsizes is been thoughtful and selective about what I saved.

Is being sentimental a good thing? What does it mean to be sentimental?

When I mocked the idea of sentimentality, it was mostly a joke. (Yes, I admit it, I usually just go for the cheap laughs.) However, as I think deeper about it, maybe the joke also held a lot of truth. I'm not so sure sentimentality is a virtue to be praised.

Any thoughts, Dear Readers?

2 comments:

  1. Virtue. It is certainly on the "good" side emotionally... with love, kindness, generosity. We don't equate evil or cruelty with much sentimentality. Value-wise, it is what it is for each individual. It is an expression of good memories, and tangible reminders may be truly reinforcing for some people or a needless display for others. In either case, if the actual memory is completely lost (through gentle aging, trauma, dementia, etc.) the physical reminder becomes redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said gemni. m.

    ReplyDelete