Monday, April 19, 2010

Wine & cheese party

4/19/10 Cheese & cracker tray & two tennis balls, given away

Although I greatly missed my beautiful bride and brilliant son, I had an enjoyable and highly productive day in Denver. The workday was spent in strategic planning for the school where I will work next year; an exercise both inspiring and daunting.

Happy coincidence also conspired to bring me here on my boss, colleague, and friend Gianna's birthday. As the mother of two young boys, she made the fine choice of requesting a pink Power Ranger cake, which I am devouring as I write this. (Note the interesting misspelling of her name on the cake. Her kids took great delight in calling her "Tianna" all evening.)

Let it not be said, however, that I am a party crasher. I brought gifts!

First, I came equipped with two tennis balls; one each for Marc and Gianna's dogs, Obi and Slugger. Huge hit, I assure you. Dogs are so easy to buy for.

Secondly, I came equipped with a piece of original, Mary Dyer art: a "slumped'" wine bottle that serves as a classy wine and cracker tray. Gianna, woman of sophistication that she is, accepted the gift with graciousness and will, I have no doubt, put it to frequent use.

This downsize falls into one of those slight gray areas. The cheese tray was actually a piece that I commissioned Mom to do a few years ago with the intention of giving it to Gianna and Marc. (Stay tuned to future posts for other variations on this theme.) However, the tray ended up forgotten in a bag in The Dreaded Basement. I discovered it just last week, and realized that my Denver trip was the perfect opportunity to actually get it into the hands of those it was destined for.

Here's my best rationale for counting it as a downsize: If I were not attacking The Dreaded Basement with all the downsizing furry of a man possessed, the cheese tray could have well stayed down there forever.

Instead, it made a convenient little gift. Happy Birthday, Gianna.

1 comment: