Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I've seen the light

4/14/10 One lamp, four compact fluorescent light bulbs, three spotlights, donated to Guy E. Rowe Elementary School; five decorative light bulbs, trashed

When I first moved into my office at school seven years ago, I brought along a lamp to give my workspace better light. Since that date, the bulb has blown a few times, and each time our custodian gave me a new one.

But now, times are tough all over.

When the bulb popped yesterday afternoon I knew immediately it was no good asking Terry for a replacement. In a district that is facing serious lay-offs and programmatic cut-backs, I knew better than to expect there'd be any extra light bulbs sitting around.

No problem. I knew I had light bulbs at home, and even thought it would be a good idea to replace the broken incandescent one with one of those newfangled CFLs. You know me: always saving the planet.

When I went into the basement last night and pulled down an entire box full of light bulbs, I suddenly had a downsizing epiphany: why not give almost all of my light bulbs to the school? If all goes according to plan, we'll be moving out of this house within two and a half months. I surely won't use a dozen light bulbs in that time. I quickly sorted through them, set aside a few to keep just in case, and brought the rest to school this morning.

When I screwed one of them into my lamp, I decided, right then and there, to donate the lamp to the school, as well. (Or, more precisely, to the next inhabitant of my office.) I had a little ceremony of one, and the lamb was officially downsized.

I also had a few chandelier bulbs that I don't think I could ever find a home for, so I tossed those in my garbage can.

A few minutes later, Terry had accepted the rest of the bulbs, and I'd done my little part for education.

Probably could have justified taking the rest of the day off, but I decided to stick around and do some teachin' as well. There's more than one way to help out a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment