Sunday, April 11, 2010

Praying for sheetrock


4/11/10 Several panels of sheetrock, as well as other assorted drywall materials, given away

It's gone, it's finally gone. After multiple failed attempts to downsize it, the sheetrock (drywall, really) has left the building.

I'd originally tried to sell it for $10, but that proved a lesson in frustration as Sheetrock Dude kept standing me up. Then, I put it up for free on craigslist, where I knew I'd get plenty of responses. Indeed, before I pulled the posting eighteen hours later, I had a dozen inquiries.

Most of those replies were the usual, rude craigslist responses to offers of free stuff:
"I want it. Tell me where I can get it. Here's my number. Call me."
I don't know if it's just me, but if someone's offering something for free, you could probably have the courtesy to write a friendly email to get it.

However, one response did stand out. It was from a family whose autistic son had caused some damage to their rental, and they needed to fix it before moving out. It sounded like they could use a hand, and they took the time to explain why they wanted the sheetrock. I'm a softy for a good story. I told them they were welcome to as much of the stuff as they wanted.

After offering that, I realized that I could actually set them up with almost everything they needed to do the job: joint compound, dryway knives, tape measure, drywall tape, utility knife. An entire project worth of downsizing!

Today, they arrived to get the drywall and enthusiastically accepted the other items. (Although I messed up and forgot to offer the drywall screws and Reader's Digest Home Repair Manual. Come back!)

I was sceptical that they'd be able to take much of the drywall in their minivan, since the full-size panels were way too big to slide inside. However, they were quite resourceful, and cut the panels into pieces small enough to fit. Since they are repairing holes rather than hanging new walls, I suppose it should work just fine.

Best of all? I actually received a thank-you email earlier this evening. Now, that's the way a free transaction on craigslist should go down. Although, to be honest, it feels so good to have all those panels out of the basement that I really need to be thanking them.

2 comments:

  1. I an so glad you were able to get rid of the sheet rock! Good story too! I am now concerned about this family and their autistic son though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, they are doing what they need to do to take care of him. I had a dozen emails with the mom and met the dad. The kids's in good hands.

    ReplyDelete