Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Paper trail

6/2/10 Pile of house paperwork, recycled

I clearly live a charmed life, and I credit the good karma related to the Downsizing Challenge for only about 85% of my good fortune.

Whatever the cause, Joanna, Chase, and I find ourselves, after selling our house, in a temporary rental that could well be described as luxurious. We're staying in the basement apartment of an amazing lake home, with views from every room out onto Maine's famous Sebago Lake. We've lived within ten minutes of this spot for nearly seven years and never had diggs like this.

Hey, good things happen to good people

Settling into this vacation-like flat has made the transition out of our home surprisingly easy, so tonight I attacked the six-inch stack of house-related paperwork that had accumulated in six years of domicile ownership. A document hoarder by nature, I feared that I'd be reluctant to trash much from such vitally labeled folders as Home Improvement, Road, Log Cabin, Mortgage, House Insurance, and Title File.

Ah, how I underestimate myself.

Within ten minutes I reduced the pile to about a dozen sheets of paper, and had time left over to watch the final strands of light fade over the water.

And even better? As Joanna pointed out, we currently have not a debt in the world.

Who needs a mortgage and all the related paperwork? I could get use to this lakeside rental deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment