Monday, June 14, 2010

What a Guy

6/14/10 School ID tag, trashed

School ended today, as did my employment with the Oxford Hills Public Schools. After seven years of teaching and learning, I walked out of Guy E. Rowe Elementary School for what is likely the last time.

Seven years seems an appropriate length of service at the school for me.

When I was hired, my primary job was to provide extra instruction for entering kindergarteners who were already lagging in their early reading skills. In the intervening years, my job has changed, but so have those kindergarten students. The five-year-olds I taught in my first year at Rowe just completed the sixth grade, and they will attend the middle school next fall.

I started with them and I left with them. Fitting, no?

Over those seven years, my outfit didn't vary too much. In addition to my tie and ubiquitous paper clip, the other staple of my school uniform was my ID card, which I dutifully displayed every day, as policy required. Shortly before departing this afternoon, I simply dropped it in the trash.

The old Reed would have held onto the ID as a souvenir. Not the Downsizing Reed.

The memories, knowledge, and friendships I take with me are enough.

Goodbye staff and students of Guy E. Rowe Elementary School. I don't have that ID anymore, but I assure you that I'll always carry a little bit of you with me no matter where I teach.

2 comments:

  1. You were so dedicated to those little ones... I know you will be sorely missed. This one brought tears to my eyes. Walking out those doors must have been very emotional...but big day tomorrow- you get to see the boy and your beautiful bride again!

    ReplyDelete