Sunday, June 27, 2010

Nothing but air

6/27/10 Thirty-nine inflatable packing bags, recycled

The interesting thing about the Downsizing Challenge is that before it, I had no particular inclination towards saving boxes and packing materials. Downsizing led me to eBay, however, which prompted me to begin hoarding boxes and bubble wrap. The situation only became worse when we prepared for our move, although I can't blame that on the challenge.

As we unpacked from the move last week, my Mom carefully set aside bubble wrap and other packing materials, neatly packaging it up for safekeeping. I can't quite bring myself to part with the large box of bubble wrap, which will be invaluable if I sell anything else on eBay -- although looking around at our rather spartan apartment, I'm not sure what's left to hock.

However, I have made the difficult decision to part ways with the large air bags that we now find in Amazon.com packages, among others. They aren't as versatile and take up a lot more space than traditional bubble wrap. Plus, I'm a traditional guy. Have you looked closely at these air bags? The ones I had tried to pass themselves off as true space-age technology, with names like PactivAir 3000 Air Cushioning System and AIR Plus by Storopack. That's a bit much, I dare say.

Still, this wasn't an easy decision, and I almost saved them. But the limited storage space we now have (with the POD gone), let me to this drastic act. Fortunately, they are all labeled with that little recycling triangle, so I let the air out of them and placed them in the recycling bin.

Speaking of the POD, I can't close without showing off the PODzilla moving system, which I was lucky enough to witness in action as our container was taken away yesterday afternoon. I'll let the photos speak for themselves:

Cool, huh? I'm totally investing in that company.

No comments:

Post a Comment