Thursday, June 3, 2010

Poster child


6/3/10 Two posters (Larry Bird & Yoda), given away

Posters are the purview of the young, which is a true shame for the rest of us. One of the more unfortunate moments of last week's POD packing was when I discovered a poster tube with two marvelous prints in it: a Yoda photo-mosaic and a Larry Bird tribute.

But such items are not for a 38-year-old to display in his house. No, for me it's all framed art from here on out. So, I did the grown-up thing and set the posters aside, fighting the urge to squirrel them away in some little POD cranny.

One of the many joys of working in an elementary school is that I am surrounded by children who love all those things I'm not really supposed to love anymore. Sports jerseys can be seen in every classroom every day and I witness (and occasionally participate in) mock light saber battles at recess each noon. Ah, to be a boy again!

Today the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers kick off their twelfth showdown in the NBA Finals. It's been a beautiful and improbably run for the Celts, so to celebrate their powerful play, I gave away that Larry Bird poster to a budding young sportsman, Matthew. He was, after all, properly outfitted in his Kevin Garnett jersey and shall cheer for the good guys throughout this series.

And then, because every day is a good day to celebrate Star Wars, I gave away my Yoda poster to fourth grader and budding Sith Lord, Harrison. (Yes, Dear Readers, this is the second Yoda photo-mosaic I've given away -- one can never have enough of such things.) He got in the spirit by doing his best Yoda face for the camera.

Keep it up, boys. May your love for childish things stay with you no matter how hold you get.

2 comments:

  1. "...but I know what I like."
    The pleasure we take in our environs reflects the changing interests of our changing lives. Few of us will fill our homes with "framed art" as an investment, so if it is not there to simply fill space, it should be bringing a smile, or sense of wonder or challenge, or appreciation of skill, or, dare I say, a welcome sentimental response that enriches life.
    The full-circle irony will be when you find yourself searching eBay for Yoda posters because 7-year old Chase has discovered that old four-star classic, "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to such full-circle irony... and I trust it WILL happen.

    Although, I will also admit that perhaps one or two Star Wars posters did get squirreled away in the POD...

    ReplyDelete