Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hats off to this man

2/23/10 Partially used box of disposable gloves, given away

As I mentioned before, one of the earliest -- and most useful -- pieces of advice I got when I entered education was to make friends with the custodians and secretaries.

Having already given a downsize to one of our secretaries, I realized I better make a similar gesture towards our head custodian, lest I discover that I've been permanently locked out of the staff restroom.

Fortunately, as I hope the photo above illustrates, Terry is quite easily satisfied. Truth is, he was more excited by the excuse to put on one of his crazy hats than by the opened box of gloves I gave him.

Indeed, Terry is certainly the most photographed person at our school, owing to his habit of dressing up in outlandish costumes for every holiday. Since he also serves as the crossing guard in front of the school, the whole community has glimpses of the occasional giant Christmas Elf, Leprechaun, Cat-In-The-Hat, Easter Bunny, and the like.

Terry, in addition to being the jack-of-all-trades who single-handedly keeps our building running, is a tremendously fun guy and good sport, with enough child in him to fit right into an elementary school environment.

Your visions of how the students react to all of this are correct.

Downsizing is most fun when you can give away things that really bring joy to the special people in your life. Does this box of gloves count? Well, I know Terry accepted it -- as he accepts all of us -- with open arms and a friendly heart.

I only wish I had a Bozo outfit to downsize to him. That would really make him smile.

6 comments:

  1. Helpful-Hint-After-The-Fact: Disposable gloves (NOT powdered) are great to wear when skinning or otherwise prepping chicken and other seafood and meat items and wonderful when rubbing oil on (unless going for the olive-oil-is-great-for-the-skin thing). Even better (green) are rubber gloves (they must be flexible) which can be soaped, rinsed, and dried for reuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The untold story was that the gloves were latex, which in the past has never been a problem. However, after a few dozen hours of painting over Christmas I developed an alarming rash on my hands and feared I was self-inflicting a latex allergy. Thus, had to dump gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also https://juicewrldmerch.net/juice-wrld-x-vlone-cosmic-hoodie-black/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works. t shirt printing singapore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Road design is style that you see in the city. Basic enough right? It is totally different from what you may discover on design magazines and television shows. It isn't about the most costly line of adornments or the most crazy ensembles.Kawaii Shop

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great content material as well as great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. I will be back soon for further quality contents. harry potter store

    ReplyDelete