Friday, February 26, 2010

Boxed in

2/26/10 Giant pile of boxes, recycled

Here's a little irony:

I began eBay-ing as one way to downsize. In order to mail off my eBay sales, I started to collect empty boxes.

And boxes.

And boxes.

Suddenly, a corner of my troublesome basement has become my own personal Tower of Babel, made entirely of empty boxes. Which -- second irony alert -- toppled as I took the picture!

In short: my downsizing was an excuse to hoard. See a problem?

I can't explain how hard it was for me to break down those boxes this evening. My blood coursed with fear: what if I make an eBay sale tomorrow -- even though I don't have anything for sale on eBay -- and I don't have the perfect box? Calamity shall ensue.

Suddenly I'm desperately hoping NOT to sell anything on eBay. Does this really count as downsizing progress?

2 comments:

  1. I sold a few books on half.com this past year but was frustrated on the shipping costs (I know this issue of shipping troubles you as well)... I sold a copy of Eat Pray Love for something like .90 and thought, is this worth the effort? Ah well. My question is, do you have a total for how much you have made for what you have sold on ebay/craigslist this past year? I find myself staring at my bookshelf and jewelry box wondering what I could possibly earn/what people would possibly want?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Hilary. I've heard about half.com, but haven't used it. I've been thinking more and more that it's just not worth selling books online. What I'd make isn't worth the time, as long as I can find a better repository around here (usually I donate them to the library). However, I would like to play around with half.com, since I'd like to use the Downsizing Challenge as an opportunity to familiarize myself with all of these markets.
    I've been intending to write a post about how much I've made (and how much I've spent) so far, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for asking, that will spur me into action. Look for that post...
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete