Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cheers to downsizing!




8/15/09 Packet of Hurricane cocktail mix, given away (then consumed)

I have been to heaven, and it's name is Alamoosook Lake.

Joanna and I are spending the weekend at my uncle and aunt's camp in Orland, ME. It's wonderful. The camp was built by my grandfather fifty years ago, and it was basically my childhood summer home. There aren't enough hard drives in the world to store all the wonderful memories I have of this place.

We arrived yesterday to a lobster feed and have been lounging away today on the shore front, with only a brief break for a sailboat ride. Maine: The Way Life Should Be.

Downsizing away from home is tricky, but just the other day Joanna reorganized our pantry and found a packet of Hurricane cocktail mix. We'd bought it at the "World Famous" Pat O'Brien's Bar on a trip to New Orleans. However, at home we pretty much stick to beer and wine. (Actually, Joanna basically sticks to wine, when she drinks at all). As good as the Hurricanes had been in New Orleans, it seemed unlikely that we'd get the urge to mix up our own at home anytime soon.

Joanna laughed that my Aunt Bobbi often had people "sending" her virtual drinks on Facebook. PiƱa coladas, rum & Cokes, margaritas. The woman is a virtual bartender. (It doesn't pay well, but at least you can drive safely afterwards.)

"Well," I replied, "Let's take them some real drinks."

We paired the mix with the necessary rum and garnishes and presented it after my Uncle Kenny and I had returned from that sailboat ride.

Within thirty minutes Kenny served up the drinks, complete with palm tree swizzle sticks. We enjoyed them in the sun, looking out over my favorite lake.

Uncle Kenny and Aunt Bobbi, thanks for a terrific weekend.

Ah, Maine. The way life should be, indeed!


-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment