Monday, August 3, 2009

The price of movies



8/3/09 Sixteen DVDs, sold for $22.83

Maine has the coolest used (and new, but who would buy that?) music/video store in the country: Bull Moose Music. The people who work in there are always friendly and fun, and you can get really great buys on used stuff. For example, a few months ago, I bought a used DVD of Saw for about $4. C'mon, that's cheaper than renting! (Joanna, it turns out, really does not like slasher horror movies.)

So today I trotted in with a shopping bag of old DVDs I decided I could live without.

"Here to sell something?" the incredibly perky -- and artfully tattooed -- woman at the register asked. Why, yes, that was easy. She scanned each film and then announced the grand total: "It comes to $30.44 in store credit or $22.83 cash."

Yippee, options! I glanced at Joanna.

"We'll take the cash," she said flatly. Okay, we'll take the cash.

Honestly, getting rid of those DVDs wasn't difficult, since none of them made the cut as "Reed Classics." An Evening with Kevin Smith was the toughest, but how many times do you need to watch a fat dude stand on a stage and talk about his small penis?

As a side note, they wouldn't buy two films because they came up as promotional copies or some such thing. Feel free to make me an offer for Jaws 2 or Babe, Pig in the City (Check out how Siskel & Ebert fall all over themselves praising it!). I promise I came by them legitimately and I do believe they both won multiple Academy Awards. Bid high, so you don't lose your chance...

6 comments:

  1. Props to Joanna - both for taking the cash and the opinion on slasher movies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured you'd agree with Joanna. She's usually right, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We already have Babe, Pig in the City and if I buy Jaws 2, it would probably be the sequel to me spilingl another hot beverage all over the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone who doesn't get Katie's reference: the first time she watched Jaws, she threw hot chocolate all over our couch when the shark came out of the water behind Roy Scheider. That's some effective movie making, right there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this is Amber (who did your DVD buy back) from that day in Bull Moose! I am so glad I got to have played a small role in your adventure of downsizing! Hope everything is going swimmingly with your quest C:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Amber, glad you checked out the blog. I was just wondering if you'd seen your picture. The challenge is going great. I'll see you again at Bull Moose--I have more to sell to you guys!

    ReplyDelete