Saturday, August 29, 2009

A few less gamma rays

8/29/09 Plastic microwave dish cover for re-heating food, recycled

For the last several years, we've heard whispers that microwaving plastic is bad for you. The microwave forces carcinogenic particles into your food, or something like that.

Is it true? I don't know, and it's far too late at night for me to undertake any serious internet research.

Nonetheless, the Dyer-Payne household is all about healthy, natural food. Joanna swore off the plastic-dish-cover-thingy in the microwave ages ago, but I've still been using it. Hey, it makes my food more evenly heated.

But, the more I learn about plastic (Dear Readers, I guarantee you that I'm going to get into a few seething Plastic Rants in the blog this year), the more I come to the conclusion that it's one of the banes of life on earth. Right up there with road rage, Glenn Beck, and the New York Yankees.

So, tonight I fired up the mico with the ol' plastic cover for the last time. I watched with slight uneasiness as the plastic dish cover irradiated my piece of blueberry pie while simultaneously bringing every atom in it to the perfect, toasty temperature.

The pie was delicious, the plastic dish cover is now in the recycle bin, and - with a little luck - I may now have enough radiation in my body to turn into the Hulk next time Glenn Beck cuts me off in traffic as I'm listening to the Yanks beat the Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment