Sunday, August 9, 2009

Re-gifting honestly



8/9/09 Wine decanter & glasses, given away

I want to change the culture of gift-giving. I think we should give less, give more thoughtfully, and give with a sense of purpose.

Tonight, my purpose was to downsize a wine decanter and two wine glasses we were given last Christmas.

Our friends Dan and Kathrine had us over to their beautiful new home for dinner, and naturally we wanted to take something to thank them. Joanna baked a delicious blueberry pie, but we also decided on the above mentioned wine decanter and glasses. (By the way, if you don't know what a wine decanter is, you're in good company. Neither did I until I was given one. Click here for a demonstration of this must-have item.) I thought the gifts were appropriate since Dan loves wine.

Plus, we had never used them.

Joanna, however, raised a concern: should we tell them that this was a re-gift? She contended that we shouldn't since it might make it seem less thoughtful. I objected.

"Let's be up front about it," I said. Of course, I also have this downsizing odyssey to hide behind. So, as we handed them the bag, I quickly explained about the challenge, and we all had a good laugh as they opened the gift.

Dan graciously placed the decanter and glasses on his kitchen wine rack (see photo above) for all to see, while Kathrine tried to figure out to whom she might be able to re-gift them, and the sooner the better.

That's the spirit! Give 'em away, Kathrine! (Just not back to us.)

2 comments:

  1. Now this is one of the reason why I just love you guys sooooo much! (You really should have mentioned my super-model status)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been brought to my attention that I neglected to mention that Kathrine is, indeed, a super-model. Careless oversight on my part, but is there anyone who didn't know that, anyway?

    ReplyDelete