Friday, August 21, 2009

The greatest rivalry in sports

8/21/09 Extra large pillow case (converted into sign), abandoned at Fenway Park

One of the cool things about this downsizing challenge is figuring out ways to tie my downsizing into my activities, especially when I'm doing unusual things. I tried to do that by taking those 'disposable outfits' to my education conference earlier this month.

Tonight I had Red Sox/Yankees tickets (Whoo-hoo!) so the trick was figuring out how to downsize something at the game. Enter these two facts:

A) I'm going to roughly estimate that I've been to about 35 professional sporting events in my life, and I've never taken a sign to hold up.

B) I have several pillowcases that we're ready to get rid of, but I haven't figured out what to do with them.

A + B = Use an old pillowcase to make a sign for the game.

Now, it also just so happens that beloved Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy, who underwent cancer surgery last fall, made his return to the booth tonight. So I whipped up a little sign to welcome him back. We didn't end up on TV (as far as I know), but I thought the sign rivaled any of the others in the park.

GAME NOTES:
We were joined by my fellow Literacy Coach and die-hard Sox fan Jenn Felt and her young friend, Hanz, who was taking in his first game at Fenway.

Maine was apparently being drenched in thunderstorms - and even a tornado?!? - but we had clear skies thoughout the evening.

Our seats were not exactly front-row. Truthfully, they were back-row. Literally. Which meant that we could hang the sign behind us! Perfect!

In the eighth inning, as many people were leaving, we treated ourselves to a "free seating upgrade" and moved down to within a few rows from the field. My downsized sign was left flapping in the nose-bleeds:

As for the final score, don't ask. Rather than worry about such insignificant matters, let us all once again enjoy one of the sweetest moments in sports history: (CLICK HERE! CLICK HERE! CLICK HERE!)

1 comment:

  1. Priceless! :)

    Same place, same teams (I love a good rivalry!) next year! --Different score, though!

    Hanz and I are both still talking about it! Thanks so much!
    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete