Saturday, August 22, 2009

Trashing some bits and bytes



8/22/09 Thirty-six files (9.4 MB), deleted from the desktop of my computer

When I announced the downsizing challenge, my cousin Chad encourged me to consider "electronic downsizing" as well.

In his words: "Nothing feels better than cleaning out your hard drive (or so they say)." Chad has a classic sense of humor.

His suggestion was brilliant, especially given that school begins in two days. My laptop desktop had become a virtual dumping ground, yet I had lacked any motivation to do anything about it. The cool wallpaper of Joanna and me at a Red Sox game last spring was completely obscured by a thousand little icons of random files.

At some point my semi-organized system of putting the icons in certain places around the screen broke down when each cluster of files grew big enough to meld into the cluster beside it. Files on top of files, many of which had such cryptic names that I didn't even know what they were. Electronic mayhem.

The added value of this downsize was that it could be done on the road, as we continue our weekend at Joanna's sister's place in Charlestown. It took over an hour -- although I admit being distracted by the episode of Bridezillas playing in the background. (My God, have you seen that show? I don't even know what to say...)

Now my desktop is completely file-free and I am making a pledge to keep it that way. How hard can that be?

Of course, if I end up cluttering it up again, I can delete the new files and count it as another Downsize. That's forward thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment