Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'd show you...but then I'd have to kill you.

2/25/10 Binder full of highly classified documents, returned

Some teachers see a snow day as a day of rest and relaxation. Me? I turn into an absolute Project Machine whenever we have an unexpected day off. A strange snow/ice/rain storm is currently pelting us with every type of precipitation known to man, and school, as a result, was cancelled today.

In addition to spending a bit of quality time with my beloved wife and doing some fatherly care-taking as Joanna ran out for groceries, I also tackled several items on my house to-do list. Besides molding installation and sink repairs, I also began to get my taxes in order.

In the process, Joanna discovered a binder of information that her father had sent her. Joanna does some part-time consulting work for Meyrick -- note to IRS, this was all accurately documented by me today -- and some of the items he sent to her were clearly "for her eyes only." I wasn't privy to the conversation, but she came to understand that if the wrong people saw these papers, Jason Bourne would be likely to show up at our front door. (Or, more likely, come down the chimney.)

To prove that I'm not the only one who tends to hold onto things around here, let me explain that the binder was for work done in 2004 and hadn't been relevant in over five years. Realizing that we had managed to survive this long, we decided not to press our luck and send the precious documents back to Connecticut. We're breathing a bit easier now.

Whew, that downsizing can be a lifesaver.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your daily blog since it affords me some contact including an occasional photo (LOVE THAT!)with my beloved Casco family that I cherish so much. Your summer move has pushed you both (understandably) into such a busy schedule that it seems to me at times you have already gone! This daily blog saves me and I admire the discipline that it takes to continue it with your busy schedule. How about considering for a lifetime? Thinking of you and wondering if you are still out of school... we are wet here but not at a stand still like so many..crazy ME weather. Love to all mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so now I am expecting a box (good thing you got that off before the following day of destroying the boxes). This package when it arrives will surely clog up my basement just as it has yours! Thanks, Reed!

    ReplyDelete