Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Story of Stuff

2/24/10 Decorative wall clock, given away on craigslist

Here's my Story of Stuff:

My grandmother (bless her heart) gives us a wall clock we don't need. We hang wall clock on the wall for several years, where it becomes functionally invisible. We eventually take clock down to make room for a far-more interesting piece of original art (bless your heart, Fred). Clock moves into basement. Filled with guilt, I take picture of clock and try to sell it on craigslist. A few months later, I drop price and try to sell it again. And again. Finally, I offer it up for free. Today, a woman comes by the house and takes it (bless her heart).

Here's Annie Leonard's Story of Stuff:

The Story of Stuff

Take 20 minutes and watch her original video. It's fabulous not only for its uncompromising message, but also its animation.

And, beware the mortal enemy of Downsizing: The Golden Arrow of Consumption!

No comments:

Post a Comment