Monday, February 22, 2010

I give, he gets

2/22/10 "The Music of Disney" audio tape collection, given away

The Great Joanna/Amanda Childhood Purge continued today as I gave away a set of audio cassettes that featured the music of Disney.

I gave them to Lori Plummer, one of my colleagues with whom I have worked the closest over the last seven years. Lori plays a lot of music for her kindergarten students, so I know the Disney tapes will come out of their long hibernation to good effect.

Lori was the beneficiary of a previous downsize, but the real winner here is Chase, who seems to get another gift from her every week. Today, no sooner had I handed her the Disney tapes, she handed me yet another board book for our little Cajun Critter. She's already given him a number of outfits, several books, and a great variety of receiving blankets, sewn by her mother.

Thus, while my own efforts to reduce my worldly possessions are moving along quite well, my son is increasing his own collection at an even greater rate.

I'm not sure whether I should consider that a problem. Should the acquisition of baby items have any impact on the Downsizing Challenge? What are my responsibilities vis-รก-vis his new stuff?

Thoughts? Opinions? Admonitions? I'm all ears.

2 comments:

  1. Virtually all utilitarian baby paraphernalia (clothes, bedding, toys, utensils, furniture, developmental or educational items) are obviously disposable (worn out, overused, shredded by cats) or recyclable/regiftable (there are always more babies, even in places that try to contol the output). Thus, the recurring problem of sentimentality and personal value placed on the few items not included above should be the only challenge. And the awareness resulting from this downsizing challenge should reduce it to manageability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your final sentence needs to be my mantra, regardless of whether we're talking about Chase's stuff or everything else I own: "The awareness resulting from this downsizing challenge should reduce it to manageability." Those are beautiful words... I just need to prove them true.

    ReplyDelete