Saturday, February 20, 2010

Broken beyond repair

2/20/10 Three broken keepsakes, trashed

I always think I can fix it.

I'm just not sure how...

... or when.

I've been juggling these three broken items on my workbench in the basement, moving them back and forth as I puttered on other projects. Every time I touched one of them, of course, I thought to myself, "I need to glue that back together."

I tried to glue the wooden whale -- a gift to Joanna from her Dad -- and the result was highly unsatisfactory. The shattered ballerina and broken suncatcher held equal promise.

So, with Joanna's reluctant blessing, they all got tossed out tonight.

I thought at first that the lesson was not to try to salvage something once it's broken. Then, I realized the real lesson:

Don't break the dang stuff to begin with.

3 comments:

  1. I remember that whale! You are forgiven!

    Meyrick, the Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me, or does that photo make it look like you are dropping breakable things near your baby!?

    (It may be time for a visit from SAFETY DAD (he knows who he is...or at least his wife does...))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whale may be dead, but the dolphin lives on!

    CRM: when dropping glass items near the child, I'm always careful to calculate the blast radius and direction to prevent shrapnel from hitting him. C'mon, give me some credit.

    ReplyDelete