Thursday, February 11, 2010

What to Expect When You're Downsizing

2/11/10 Copy of What to Expect When You're Expected, given away

Happy Birthday, Jason!

This is a lethal combination:

1) I'm trying to get rid of stuff.

2) One of my best friends is having a birthday.

3) He's also about to have a baby.

Talk about the perfect storm of downsizing! Knowing Jason's particular sense of humor, I mailed off to him the absolutely hysterical What to Expect When You're Expected. Be sure you read that title carefully, so as not to confuse it with the book it's parodying, the classic (and classically boring) What to Expect When You're Expecting. There's a slight difference in tone, best explained by watching this trailer.

Pregnancy is a time full of anxiety and concern, even for the guy. There are a million things to worry about and another million to learn. Fortunately, any time I was feeling overwhelmed I'd read a few more pages of this book, which is created by the same folks who gave us America: The Book and I Am America, and So Can You! If you're a Daily Show or Stephen Colbert fan and haven't read these books, RUN out and get them right now. If you're not a Daily Show or Stephen Colbert fan, I can honestly say I don't understand you.

I own my own copy of America: The Book (purchased at the library for $1) and won't be downsizing it anytime soon, but I'm willing to let go of What to Expect When You're Expected, if only because I know Jason and Jenny can use the laughs at this point in their pregnancy.

Besides, after one pregnancy, I'm not so sure I want to go back to that experience anytime soon. Right, Joanna?

1 comment:

  1. A good example of a well-worn book being one of the best (re)gifts. And, the reason some of us see the hunger for iPads, etc., bittersweet, indeed. Difficult to appreciate and treasure a dog-eared copy of The Jungle Book on a Kindle.

    ReplyDelete