Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ski bum, Part II

Editor's Note: I'm considering this earlier ski downsize, "Ski bum, Part I"

2/27/10 Two pairs of cross-country skis, two pairs of ski boots, and one set of poles, given away on craigslist

With the Vancouver Winter Olympics drawing to a close and New England in the middle of a bizarre multi-day rain/sleet/snow storm, I figured it was time for some winter sport downsizing.

Several years ago, after complaining to a colleague about my old cross country skate-skis, which I've had since high school, I was given two more pair of equally-old skate skis. And, predictably, I not only accepted the gift, but thought of it as a huge stroke of luck. In the intervening years, I believe I have used these two pairs of skis a grand total of twice, possibly three times. The other thousand days or so they have been stashed in the rafters of my shed.

Time to say goodbye.

Without a planned downsize for today, I decided to try my latest trick, which is to put up something on craigslist with a deadline. This, Dear Readers, is advice to heed. I posted the skis this morning with the note that priority would be given to anyone who could pick them up by today or tomorrow. Within a few hours, I had several people all willing to come ASAP. Ask any reporter: deadlines are motivational.

The skis, appropriately yet coincidentally, went to a family from my school district who plan to use them for some quality mother/daughter time. Ah, clearly a better use than clogging up my shed!

The downsizing lesson is to be careful what we acquire in the first place. I had no need for the skis, nor did I really want them, but when presented with an opportunity to get something for FREE, our minds tend to short circuit a bit.

I need to rewire mine so I don't end up with such clutter in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. Your downsizing today made me think of all the material things that are pretty well useless to us BUT very meaningful to someone else.

    I love the idea that your cross country skis will allow a Mother/Daughter to bond in the snow.

    Perhaps who knows that little girl will someday become a gold medal champion in the 2026 Winter Olympic Games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Meyrick -- one man's trash is another man's treasure. That's one of the interesting challenges of downsizing: trying to find the best "home" for those things I no longer want. Sometimes it's a lot of work to do that!

    ReplyDelete